- Successful completion of a minimum of 50 semester hours at the graduate level, including a minimum of 4 semester hours in dissertation research and a minimum of 15 semester hours in a specialty track or area of concentration. Four semesters of Graduate Seminar are required. A student who has earned an MS degree from another institution or program must complete a minimum of 40 semester hours in addition to the other requirements of the PhD program
- Maintenance of a cumulative GPA of 3.0 for all coursework taken at the University. The minimum grade for passing a course is B.
- Successful completion of qualifying examinations
- Presentation of a dissertation that is a contribution of unique knowledge to the discipline and that has been openly defended and approved by the student’s Graduate Advisory Committee
- Completion of at least one continuous academic year in residence at the University conducting dissertation research
- Completion of all requirements for the PhD degree within a period of six years