Admission RequirementsBachelor of Science in Premedical Health Studies—Optometry Pathway (BS/OD)
First-year applicants can view their admission requirements on the Undergraduate Applicants page.
Students with 12 or more college credits may transfer in to the first or second year of the program. Courses must have been completed at a regionally accredited college or university with a grade of C or better for transfer. Math and science courses taken more than ten years prior to the anticipated date of matriculation to MCPHS will not be accepted.
While there are no specific required courses for entry into the first year of our program, the admission committee will look for success in any math and science courses you have already taken. If you complete any of the courses listed below, you may receive transfer credit and your first year course load may be lighter. However, due to the block registration nature of MCPHS programs, entering the first year of the program with transfer credits will not change the total length of your program. Courses, other than elective courses, may not be moved forward in your schedule.
Linked courses are available through the MCPHS School of Professional Studies.
Required Courses for Entry Into Year II:
- General Biology I & II with lab (8 credits)
- General Chemistry I & II with lab (8 credits)
- Calculus I & II (8 credits)
- Expository Writing I & II (6 credits)
- American Culture, Identity, and Public Life (3 credits) (Acceptable substitutions include Introduction to Sociology or upper-level sociology course)
Additional Courses Accepted for Transfer Credit:
- Cultural Anthropology (3 credits)
- Introduction to Psychology (3 credits)
- Interpersonal Communications for Health Professionals (3 credits)
- Behavioral Sciences Elective (3 credits) (Acceptable courses include any upper-level psychology course)
- Humanities elective (3 credits) (Acceptable courses include Literature, Creative Writing, Philosophy, Ethics, Religious Studies, Select Fine Arts, Advanced Level Languages)
- Liberal Arts elective (3 credits) (Acceptable courses include Behavioral Science, Humanities or Social Science courses)