MissionCenter for Health Humanities
The Center for Health Humanities (CHH) at MCPHS is a community of educators and scholars that explores and promotes opportunities for the study, development, and application of the humanities as they relate to:
- Experiences of illness and well-being
- The pursuit and provision of healthcare
- The social, cultural, political and institutional contexts of healthcare
- The education of health professionals
The CHH defines the humanities broadly to include philosophy and ethics, literature and the arts, history, anthropology, and related social and behavioral sciences.
The Center for Health Humanities encourages and supports scholarship, curriculum development, and public outreach.
- Promoting collaborative research
- Discussing readings, films and other texts of common interest
- Responding to presentations of works in progress by group members
- Identifying and investigating potential health humanities pathways and programs
- Enriching continuing education programs
- Sponsoring conferences, invited speakers, and other public forums that engage the larger MCPHS and Longwood Medical Area communities
- Establishing MCPHS as a resource in the health humanities
The Center for Health Humanities seeks to become a model for the application and study of the humanities at health professions institutions.