MultiFactor Authentication for Off-Campus Access
The University continuously monitors threats to information security as well as best practices to address those threats. One of the biggest threats for security is a compromised account. To help protect your account, MCPHS University has been requiring multi-factor authentication (MFA) when accessing University resources from off-campus for employees since 2013 and students since 2019.
Apple, Google, Microsoft, and many other service providers have MFA as either an option or requirement.
MFA is a security enhancement that requires two forms of verification when using your MCPHS University Logon. MFA is a way of verifying that people logging into our systems are indeed the people we think they are. MFA provides a way to limit the impact of these attacks and help ensure that only authorized people are accessing our systems and adds critical protection for your sign-on credentials.
Instructions for Setting up MFA
Instructions for Changing MFA Settings
The Authenticator App is strongly recommended, especially for anyone who plans to travel Internationally or when cellular service may not be available.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Mobile App: Pop-up prompt using the Azure Authenticator app on your mobile device asking you to 'Verify' the login.
- Token Code: Enter a token code generated by the Azure Authenticator app on your mobile device.
- Phone Call: Receive a phone call each time you need to authenticate.
- Text Message: Enter a code received by text message each time you need to authenticate.
Information Services strongly recommends the use of the mobile app or token code based authentication via the Azure Authenticator app.
- Outlook App: Information Services recommends using the Outlook app as it’s easiest to setup and manage your email, calendar, and contacts in one place. This option also uses your MCPHS username and password.
- Built-in Mail Apps: Varies from device to device. Should you prefer to use the built-in mail apps on your device, it's important to setup email when off-campus or using cellular data when on campus. Please see the instructions section for complete step-by-step instructions for setting this up.